Points of Pride
Durand Area Schools is proud of where we have been and where we are going. We continue to have outstanding programs and services. As a result our students have been able to flourish and gain recognition for their accomplishments across the state and country.
Here are some of our accomplishments and points of pride for the 2013 - 2014 school year.
First Robotics Team
National Honor Society
- MiBLSi - K - 7
- K - 7 CHAMPS Program - Safe & Civil Schools
- 8 - 12 PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention Support) Program
- Free Summer Lunch Program - Meet Up to Eat Up
- Summer School Programs K - 12
- Box Car Before and After School Day Care
- Model - for Teacher Evaluation
- Back Pack Program
- Media-Smart Youth Program Grant Through School-Community Health Alliance of Michigan - One of Three Schools in Michigan to Receive This Award
- MEAP Scores Continue to Climb
- Durand Area Schools Education Foundation
- Senior Citizen Luncheons
- iPads for all Teachers
- iPad Carts in All Buildings
- Computer Labs in All Buildings
- All Buildings Wireless
- Pre School through Great Start Readiness Programs
- Elementary Social Workers
- K-4 Art & Music
- Foreign Language
- Neal Sisters Foundation to Support Bertha Neal
- Bertha Neal - All Teachers ZA Certified - (Specialization in Early Childhood)
- Student Links support their peers in the classroom, in electives, and during unstructured times of the day. The goal of Student Links Program is to facilitate each student's experience of their school as a safe and caring community.
- Robotics Club provided for students through a teacher written grant.
- Destination Imagination Teams represent DMS each year to address a building need.
- Annual Sixth Grade Science Fair sponsored by teachers and held each spring.
- Middle School is utilizing a Bully Prevention Program that is designed for all students. It is research based as well as being preventive & responsive. The program, called "Hero in the Hallway", is focused on improving the school culture, and requires systematic classroom lessons over time. (Grant rec'd from Shiawassee Community Foundation/Alford and Alice Emmert Youth Fund)
- The middle school is utilizing the Early Warning System, which uses quantitative data to focus on at-risk-students and provides strategic, research based interventions to support the success of those students.
- Students are able to take advantage of free after-school tutoring.
- Lunch Book Club
- March is Reading Month Activity
- Six students were selected in 2013 as Shiawassee Scholars from Durand Middle School. The fifty top scorers in Shiawassee County, taking the SAT test, are named Shiawassee Scholars.
- All schools taking part in the Positive Behavior Support program, which allows teachers more time to teach and students more time to learn.
- Middle School Peer Mentor Program - building positive role models, communication and service leadership skills as well as working toward a safer, more positive school environment.
- Teachers have received multiple grants for school equipment and initiatives.
- Hallway Bully Prevention Program - Hero's in the Hallway Middle School
- Destination Imagination Attending Global Competition
- STEM Summer Camp
- Middle School Science Night
- Chinese Mandarin Class
- Citizens Bank Program Introducing Banking to Students
- Blending Classes - Technology
- Full-Time Guidance Counselor at MS
- One of Teachers Nominated as State Teacher of the Year
- MS Trained Peer Mentors
- MS LINKS Program - to Provide Support to Students with Disabilities in the Classrooms
- 1038 Pounds of Food Collected for Holiday Gift Boxes
- 6 Families adopted for the Holiday Adopt a Family Program including 21 kids and adults in the families
- Arts & Crafts classes are making scarves and hats for the disadvantaged
- Hundreds of Christmas cards were made by students to send to servicemen
- 7 local Holiday Performances by the Madrigal's
- Band placed 9th at the State Competition
- Over 50 Positive Behavior Rewards given out for students "On TRACK"
- Anti-Bullying Assembly by A'ric Jackson-won for the school by FCCLA
- Another successful boys soccer season, 14-5-1 finishing second in the GAC
- CONGRATULATIONS to Durand Soccer player CJ Levitt! CJ was named to the Michigan High School Soccer Coaches Association Division 3 All-Regional Team and earned All-State Honorable Mention for the 2013-14 soccer season
- By hosting a Book Fair we raised nearly $450 in new books for the DHS library.
- Student government has set up a Christmas tree to collect hats, scarves, and gloves for families in need.
- Student government will have an ugly Christmas sweater day to raise money for members of the Durand community for the holidays.
- The Durand Marching Railroaders consistently finish in the top 10 at the MCBA State Championships
- The Durand bands & choirs earn consistent First Division ratings at MSBOA and MSVMA festivals
- English 2 students made over 60 blankets for those in need
- 2013 State Winning Ag Mechanics Team #1
- 2013 Gold Award Ag Mechanics Team #2
- 2013 Dairy Foods Gold Award Team #1
- 2013 Dairy Foods Gold Award Team #2
- 2013 Dairy Foods Gold Award Team #3
- 2013 Forestry Team Silver Award Team # 3
- 2013 State Runner UP-Chase Jenkins Tractor Driving Contest
- 2013 Mallory Cole-Dairy Showman Gold Award
- 2013 National Ag Mechanics Team Bronze Award
- 2013 Poultry Team #1 Gold Award
- 2013 Poultry Team #2 Gold Award
- 2013 Poultry Team #3 Gold Award
- 2013 Sam and Alex Muston-Poultry Gold Award
- 2013 Janelle DeClerg-Poultry Silver Award
- 2013 TY Hart Poultry Silver Award
- 2013 Washington Leadership Conference- 6 students attended-Lucas Thompson, Austin Hall, Austin Cole, Cassie Weir, Maddison Alander, Kayla Smith
- 2013 Shiawassee County Fair-28 Swine Exhibitors, 28 Steer Exhibitors, 4 Sheep Exhibitors
- Austin Hall-GRAND CHAMPION MARKET HOG AT SHIAWASSEE COUNTY FAIR!!!
- 2013 28 Chapter Degree Recipients
- 2013-90 Greenhand Recipients
- Dual Enrollment - Mott Community College, U of M Flint
- Baker College Classes
- Vocational Education Classes
- Saginaw Valley State University - Former students enrolled in SVSU the average ACT Scores
- State ACT Math Scores - 21.0
- Durand ACT Math Scores - 21.2
- State ACT English Scores - 21.1
- Durand ACT English Scores - 21.2
- Composite Average State - 21.6
- Composite Average Durand - 21.4
- Extended Day High School ZAP Program
- FFA Awards at Regional and State Level and National Level
- FCCLA Awards at Regional and State Level
- Choir - Rating 1's
- Orchestra - Ratings 1's
- Music Students Recognized for Contributions to the Arts and Music Culture of Shiawassee County. Students Received an Award at the Alma Percussion Ensemble Musical Event
- Art Program
- Art Trip to New York City
- Scholarship Dollars Awarded to Students
- Award Winning Wood Technology Program
- Sports Championships
- Doug Lindsay - State 2013 Outstanding Administrator for MOSPA (Michigan Occupational Special Populations Association)
- Wendy Ziola - Parapro in Torey Birchmeier's Ag Science program State Outstanding Support Staff Person MOSPA
- Alison Ackerman - Outstanding Student MOSPA
Durand's varsity wrestling team edged North Branch by 1/2 point, 145.0 - 144.5, to earn a1st place finish and championship trophy on Saturday at the Bob Mott - Durand Wrestling Invitational. Durand had 9 individuals place in the top 4 for the day. Hank Richter (112) and Jordan Pierce (285) both earned 1st place in their respective weight classes. Walter Will (103) and Zack Adkins (140) finished 2nd place, while Silver Graham (125) and Jared Hatherill (135) finished in 3rd. Rounding out the scoring for the Railroaders, in 4th place, Nathan Elston (125), Austin Yager (130), and Nathan Johnson.The team will travel to Goodrich on Wednesday to take on GAC opponents Webberville and Mt. Morris. Action begins at 5:00pm.
The 2014 recruiting class for the Mott CC softball team includes Durand Senior Madison Salvi. On Thursday night, Maddie signed with the Bears to play softball starting in 2015. CONGRATULATIONS Maddie!!
Standing Left to Right: Chris Deines (Durand Athletic Director), Tim Ducharme (Durand Varsity Softball Coach), Tom Weston (Mott Assistant Coach), Rachel Martinez (Mott Assistant Coach), Rod Studaker (Mott Head Coach), Joe Salvi (Brother) Seated Left to Right: Sarah Salvi, Maddie Salvi, Joe Salvi
CONGRATULATIONS to Senior Jarren Guy who finished 16th in the Division 3 Boys Cross Country State Finals! Jarren received All-State honors as he finished the race in a time of 16 minutes and 32.1 seconds